Your mommy and daddy already love you very much.

We love you so much, in fact, we want to share our journey and the beginning of your amazing life with you, our friends, our families and any strangers who happen upon this blog.

Hi strangers, it's weird that you're reading this.

We have so much to learn from each other and we're so proud to be your parents. We have a lot of ground to cover, so let's get going littlest Chew...



Thursday, June 7, 2012

Is two lines good?

Mommy called me at work.

The test that changed everything!
"Thomas, I'm pregnant." Her voice almost quivered when she said it. She sounded as shocked to say it as I was to hear it.

Two pink lines meant you were finally on your way. We needed more proof, something digital. Another test, a lot of hugging, and nerves spilling out of each of us, your mommy and I were so excited.

It was scary too though. We try not to fall into archetypes and steer away from stereotypes, but we fell into all of them. At least I did. Will I be a good dad? Is this real? What are you going to be like? Will you be a he or a she? Will you like mashed potatoes as much as I do? I really hope you look like your mommy.

A million things run through your head when your life is changing faster than you've ever imagined it could. The biggest thing, and I think the most important, was the smile your mommy and I each had on our faces.

The big question was how to move forward. We wanted to keep it to ourselves until we saw your picture. We told some family and close friends, but our rule was only people who won't say anything and who we might want to talk to personally about you. Everyone needs someone to talk to and you can't go through life alone (lesson 1? Am I already a good daddy?).

The internet has been a blessing and a curse. So many questions need answered, but google seems to just add more and more questions and worries. Your mommy and I quickly realized this was going to be a process and we needed to get very good at being there for each other.

We're learning more and more each day. This is going to be the greatest adventure ever. Even better than Goonies. That'll probably be one of your favorite movies someday, so you'll appreciate the reference.

So excited to watch you grow!

-Daddy

1 comment: