Your mommy and daddy already love you very much.

We love you so much, in fact, we want to share our journey and the beginning of your amazing life with you, our friends, our families and any strangers who happen upon this blog.

Hi strangers, it's weird that you're reading this.

We have so much to learn from each other and we're so proud to be your parents. We have a lot of ground to cover, so let's get going littlest Chew...



Sunday, January 6, 2013

Today's the Day!

Today's the day they told us to use as a mark of which day could be the day, but we still really don't know!

So we're still here. We're on the couch hanging out this morning. I just remembered that I made coffee about an hour ago and I forgot to get some. Be right back.

So the last week and a half has been tough.

Tough is a relative term, by the way. A week and a half ago we had an appointment that told us that Mabel is growing really well, she's moving great, we saw a new 3D ultrasound picture and got to see her perfect chubby little cheeks, and ever since we thought that day was the day! The growing healthy baby is the relative part, the constantly thinking the baby is going to be here is the tough part.

We sat around for three days because we knew... for sure, we knew, that she was coming!

When she didn't it was hard, for me at least, to get back into a groove. I didn't want to go back to work, I wanted to watch my baby sleep. No such luck, not yet at least.

One thing my anxiousness needs to remember, which was pointed out by a beautifully loving message from our friend Emily this morning, is that she will be here soon enough and everything will be different.

Jenna has been a rock star. She is calm, cool, confident. She still feels pretty good overall, but we're at the point where we're ready for pregnancy to transition to parenthood (I think, I mean, are you ever ready? If a tree falls in the forest... etc. etc. etc.).


So here we are.
We're together, trying to keep busy and trying to be there for each other, but in all honesty there isn't anything we can do. So we've been watching a lot of movies, which is awesome for me, but probably really boring for Jenna. Though we have seen some great movies in the last week, Beasts of the Southern Wild was fantastic.

Wow, this blog is all over the place. When I started typing I wanted to to accomplish a couple things.
  1. Let everyone know we're doing alright, and no, Mabel isn't here, we'll let you know as soon as she is.
  2. Give some insight on the waiting process; the anxiously, painfully, frighteningly, hilariously helpless waiting feeling.
  3. Express my true appreciation for all the messages, texts, phone calls, and comments we've received from friends and family.
So let me get into that. For the entire pregnancy really, but most notably in the last week, our friends and family have shown us so much love. We've each written about it, I've tried to express my feelings openly, make sure everyone knew how much it meant. But in the last week it has gotten out of control! Seriously though, here I am, anxious, nervous, just trying not to go crazy with wonder and there are dozens and dozens of people feeling, at least partially, the same way on behalf of us and our little girl.

Man, none of this is coming out right, but I'm going to keep typing.

Every day we've had a large handful of people wondering how Jenna is feeling, how we're doing, if we're ready. We have received loving advice, hopeful encouragement, equally anxious tips for getting her here faster.

It is overwhelming to be so personally engrossed in this process and then to take a minute to look at the world around us and see all these people who care just as much as we do. Some are friends we rarely see or get the opportunity to speak with, but they're there thinking about us and providing support and advice. Someday, probably in a month or two, Mabel will sit down in front of the computer and read this blog. Okay, maybe a year or two.

It's ridiculous, meandering posts like this that I think she'll appreciate. Anytime I write, but particularly when I write for this blog and for Mabel I hope to provide some insight on either who I am and how I think or simply a different way of looking at things.

This time, this blog, (which could be a huge mess I end up deleting... I don't really proof read or edit until it's already published) I wanted anyone who reads this and eventually Mabel to know how much it means for the world to be so vocally supportive. Not just with us, the baby, and this situation, but in general, we're all better off when someone sincerely shows love or appreciation.

So thanks everyone.

She isn't here yet, but she'll be here soon. We live in a shit world where a lot of terrible things happen, but it makes me feel pretty damn good that we're bringing Mabel into this world surrounded by people who are going to teach her to openly love and be loved.

1 comment:

  1. Thomas you have the cutest excited-daddy-nervousness everrrr!! Love you guys, anxiously awaiting news from Buffalo ... xo

    ReplyDelete